Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chris Bosh: Cricket will always be the No. 1 sport in India


My first reaction:

Oh Lord! Say it ain't so Bosh, Say it ain't so!

Then I thought, may be I should look into what Bosh actually said instead of going into a traumatized state of mind as I can't stop imagining the status-quo in India for perpetuity where Cricket is the only sport every kid plays. Oh the night mare and the boredom!

This is actually what Bosh said:

"I don't think basketball will be the most popular sport in India. Even in America it isn't the most popular sport. American football will always be the king, but that doesn't mean a lot of people won't like basketball. I think cricket will always be the national sport, but it is always great to [play] other sports and [learn from other people] to see what else is out there.

I have heard about different guys in [Indian colleges] who have the ability to develop their talent. Given the right situation, it is not going to take long. I am sure it is going to be very exciting. Once an Indian player makes it to the NBA, kids will watch that and they will know they can do it.

I think the work we are doing here will go a long way. There are other ways through which you can get people's interest. With the development of technology and social media, the people of India can see what a great game it is. People can see an NBA game. If they like it they will play the game or still remain a fan.

I will probably coordinate with NBA here. They brought me here, otherwise I never would have had the chance to come here. It is great that the NBA is here.

Hopefully, one day I will be able to come back and be one of the spokespersons for basketball here. This is a once in a lifetime experience. As I grow as a person, I have the ability or have the chance to come back, if I do, I will try to and grow the game."

[On playing in future international events]
"I don't think I will play in the Olympics again, I have kids and a family. Our summers are short, we work so hard during the season that I want to give them some time in the summer.

Plus I want other guys to experience it, because it is such a great game. I want other guys to enjoy it and have great stories, just have a good time playing international basketball because it is such a great thing."

[On his move from the Toronto Raptors to the Miami Heat]
"It was a very difficult decision but I'm happy I made it. Toronto was a great place for me, where I grew a lot as a player. Miami was a chance to take it to the next step. I'm really glad we [Miami] won, it shows I made the right decision. [In working with the team] it has taught me a lot more about team concept, what you have to give up to be on a team, how difficult it is to come together as a team and succeed. The bond that you great when you go through tough situations with guys.I have had such good time with the team and we have made bonds that will last a lifetime because of that.

We have a lot of work do. We can get a lot better. We have a chance to be mentioned with some of the best teams that have played the game. We know we have the chance. We know we have to work hard and stay focused doing what we are supposed to do and it will happen. We just concentrate and hopefully one day we can say we were one of the best teams to have played NBA."

[In regards to his role models]
"My dad played a lot and so it came naturally to me. I found I could play and I enjoyed playing it. It has been that ever since when I first picked up the basketball. I am just fortunate to have the success I have had. I never thought I could make it this far.

My role model in the NBA is Kevin Garnett. As I started getting older and went to high school, I started paying more attention to the NBA. I wanted to be just like him because we play the same position, to do what he did and try to be like him. "

To paraphrase what Bosh said:

Basketball is coming to India and it is here to stay. This is a great game and people will fall in love with it. Will it ever beat cricket in popularity? No. But if we can handle being as popular as we are playing second fiddle to American Football in the US, then we can do the same in India. 




No comments:

Post a Comment